Organizational Communication Major Checklist
Make sure you have all the courses you need for your organizational communication degree. If you have any questions about which classes you should take, talk to your advisor.
This checklist is for students who entered the organizational communication program during or after summer 2016. If you started earlier than summer 2016, visit the online catalog to find the bulletin that corresponds with the year you started the program.
- CMCN 202 - Argumentation and Structured Decision-Making (offered only in the spring)
- CMCN 210 - Interpersonal Communication
- CMCN 304 - Group Process and Problem-solving
- CMCN 309 - Interview Theory and Technique
- CMCN 310 - Public Speaking
- CMCN 301 - Principles of Organizational Communication (offered only in the fall)
- CMCN 384 - Communication Theory
- CMCN 385 - Communication Law and Ethics
- CMCN 386 - Communication Research
- CMCN 335 - Visual Communication or CMCN 338 - Internet Communication
- CMCN 406 - Communication Consultation (offered only in the spring)
- CMCN 490 - Internship
- CMCN 403 - Crisis and Risk Communication or CMCN 404 - Health Communication
- CMCN 307 - Leadership Communication or CMCN 401 - Intro to Training and Development
- Arts elective. Choose from advisor-approved elective in DANC, MUS, THEA, or VIAR.
Behavioral science elective (9 credit hours/3 courses). Choose elective in consultation with your advisor from ANTH, ECON, GEOG, POLS, PSYC, SOCI, or up to 6 hours from CJUS.
- Three hours of behavioral science may be replaced by an advisor-approved CMCN elective.
- Business minors may substitute 3 hours of behavioral science with an advisor-approved business course.
- A minimum of 6 hours of behavioral science electives are required, with at least 3 hours at the 200 level or above.
- ENGL 101 - Introduction to Academic Writing
- ENGL 102 - Writing and Research About Culture
- ENGL 365 - Technical Writing
English elective. Choose from:
- ENGL 201 - British Literature
- ENGL 202 - British Literature II
- ENGL 205 - American Literature I
- ENGL 206 - American Literature II
- ENGL 215 - Honors British Literature
- ENGL 216 - Honors American Literature
- History electives (6 credit hours/2 courses)
- MATH 103 - Applied College Algebra Fundamentals or MATH 105 - Applied College Algebra
- STAT 214 - Elementary Statistics
- MODL 101 (choose from French, Spanish, or German)
- MODL 102 (must choose the same language as you took for MODL 101)
- MODL 201 (must be the same language as you took for MODL 101 and 102)
- MODL 202 or MODL 203 (must be the same language as you took for MODL 101, 102, and 201)
- Science electives (9 credit hours/3 courses). Science electives are to be chosen from both biological (BIOL) and physical (CHEM, GEOL, or PHYS) sciences, two courses of which must be from the same science.
- UNIV 100 - First Year Seminar
- UNIV 200 - Information Literacy (or another advisor-approved computer course)
Minor Courses & Other Electives
- General elective (1 credit hour)
- Minor courses (18 credit hours). Choose a minor in consultation with your advisor.